Monday, March 06, 2006

My Ascension atop Notre Dame

Monday after our Christian History class, a group of us decided to go up the towers of Notre Dame. As students in Europe, we are very fortunate to have cards that give free access to most museums and as we heard rumor, the towers of Notre Dame as well. One of the girls noticed a sign that said to buy tickets inside. Thinking that meant inside the cathedral, and not wanting to get in line and up to the ticket counter only to realize that our cards didn’t work, Melanie and I went inside to verify.

I walked up to the little booth inside the cathedral where crosses, candles, and souvenirs are sold and before posing the question, I turned to Melanie and asked if the verb for going up the towers is ascendre (Descendre would be the opposite, to go down the towers or get off a train). Anyway… Melanie nodded and I proceeded to the counter to pose my question, Excusez-moi, Madame. Nous voudrions ascendre les tours, et nous avons ces cartes d’étudiant…Before I could pass on, the lady kindly pointed out that ascendre is not a word, the verb does not exist, but rather one would monter les tours. Thanks, French 101, that was silly. Either way, I took a picture of my ascension as it were at the top of the towers at Notre Dame that sunny Monday afternoon.